Go to Top

How to Make Relocating less Stressful

A move out of Colorado can be stressful for any family, but when the family is already a divided one because of divorce, the move can be even more traumatic. Children, who are just getting adjusted to the fact that their parents are no longer living together, may find it hard to adjust to the idea that one of their parents will no longer be living in the same city or state.

If you are considering relocating outside of Colorado with your child, compare the benefits of a move with the disadvantages of relocating. If your child has already adjusted very well to life after your divorce, has friends, is performing well at school, and has a well-balanced life, you might want to consider whether relocating is the best option for you.

However, if you do decide in favor of a move, then try to make it as easy for the child as possible. Involve the child in the process of making decisions related to the move. Take the child’s help in house-hunting, looking for schools, and take the child to visit the house to get a feel for the place before the big move.

Be truthful with the child. Don’t make promises that you can’t keep. If it is not going to be possible for you to make weekend trips back to Colorado to meet with the other parent, don’t promise the child that.

Psychologists also suggest that you use children’s toys, and other props to explain the process of the move to a preschooler. Explain to the child that all of the things that he loves in this home, like his toys and books are moving with him to the new house. That help eases the pain a little.

Avoid making major changes during a more, like preparing your child for toilet training, or starting preschool.

Above all, make sure that you have completed all the formalities for relocation outside the state of Colorado. Keep the other spouse in the loop before you make the move, and complete all legal formalities related to the relocation.

This article is not legal or financial advice. You should contact a lawyer, accountant and/or financial professional in your state to discuss the specifics or your case and applicable laws.